Sunday, April 22, 2007

SKS Paratrooper

It was September 2005. I had just recently had began making a few changes in my life. I became more laid back, mature, and MUCH more social. I had also began my casual hobby of being a forum junkie over the summer. The first forum was one called "Zombie Squad". Now at the time I was into all the cool Zombie based MODs for the Half-Life video game. I came across the ZS forum doing a search for zombie survival techniques. All of this was in good fun and had no serious merits. The months before I joined I had saved some $$ up.

September comes around and I decide that it's time to make the first firearm purchase that was with my money. Since I was 16 at the time, I had a parent sign off on the purchase. We went over the North Cove Outfitters in Old Saybrook. On the rack they had some nice rifles. Amongst them was a Mini-30 and a SKS Paratrooper. Well at first I was all over the Mini-30. My "co-signer" wisely adviced me to just wait and think about the purchase. $600.00 is a lot to spend on a Mini-30. I posted my findings on ZS (http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6708&highlight=mini30). The thread was a big help!

I settled on the SKS Paratrooper. It was $300.00 before tax.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I took it out for the first time a few weeks after that photo was taken. It was a frigid 35 degree out but I didn't care. I also had the Mosin Nagant M44 I paid for (I was still just 17 at the time). The Mosin Nagant M44 was fun but the SKS was a heart warming expirience. Every shot was pure enjoyment. Every stripper clip was smooth and clean. I had the largest smile a 17 year old can have. The Paratrooper was a clear winner.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

The 16" Paratrooper is easy to carry, easy to maintain, and just feels right to me. I have an AR15 (First rifle I bought at 18) which I like. I have a Mosin Nagant M44 that is a real fireworks show. But for something that pleases me the most, it is 100% my SKS Paratrooper! If you ever have the chance to get one, I reccomend one to anyone; SKS enthusiest or not. Best thing about being in Lebanon comapred to when I used to live in Norwich: Two of my neigbors have SKS(s) and one is another Paratrooper! Rural living is just plain better! :)

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

1 comment:

alvaro said...

I have a full size Yugo sks. I am about to chop it down and convert it to paratrooper proportions. They are handy little carbines.


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones